- Why Study Probability?
- We study probability because the relationships between
samples and populations is usually stated in terms of probability.
Probability plays a central in inferential statistics.
- Probability and Inferential Statistics
- The goal of inferential statistics is to use the limited
information we have in a sample to draw general conclusions
about the population. Probability allows us to start with
a population and predict what kind of sample is likely to
be obtained from it. Inferential statistics allows us to
say how probable the sample is to have come from a particular
- Probability and Frequency Distributions
- We are usually concerned about probability when we have
a population frequency distribution: We want to know how
probable it is to obtain a specific sample. For this reason
we discuss Normal and
the two most commonly used in statistics.
- Introduction to Probability
- Probability and the Normal
- Probability and the Binomial