Topics & Schedule
- Introduction and History:
January 8 - 15 (1 1/2 weeks)
- Young & Hamer Chapters 1 & 2 plus a chapter of your choice from Part III or another paper that uses MDS.
- Cox & Cox Chapter 6.
- January 15th: Each individual class member will present a verbal report on an MDS experiment (use the texts and the technical materials to find primary references).
- Data Theory and Experimental Design:
January 20 - February 5th (3 weeks)
- Young & Hamer Chapter 3
- Cox & Cox Chapter 1
- February 3rd will be devoted to a classroom exercise to design a dissimilarity-based experiment for multidimensional scaling.
- February 5th: Preliminary experimental design due.
- Classical MDS Models:
February 10 - 12 (1 week)
- Young & Hamer Chapter 5 (skim 4)
- Cox & Cox Chapter 2
- February 3rd: Rough draft of data-gathering forms due.
- February 5th: Final data-gathering forms due.
- Torgerson, Kruskal and de Leeuw Classical MDS Algorithms:
February 24 - March 7 (1 week)
- Schiffman, Reynolds & Young Chapter 16, pp. 358-362
- Cox & Cox (1994) Chapters 2, 3 and 10 (10.2 only).
- March 7th: LispStat function for Torgerson MDS
Spring Break (March 10-14)
- Least Squares Monotonic Transformation:
March 17 - 28 (2 weeks)
- Cox & Cox (1994) pp 45-52.
- April 2nd: LispStat function for NMDS
- Replicated Nonmetric MDS Algorithm:
March 31 - April 2nd (1/2 week)
- Schiffman, Reynolds & Young pp 55-65.
- Young & Hamer pp. 85-91
- April 2nd: LispStat function for NMDS completed
- Weighted MDS Models:
April 4 - 9 (1 week)
- Young & Hamer Chapter 6
- April 9th: LispStat function for RNMDS
- Metric & Nonmetric Weighted MDS Algorithms:
April 11-16 (1 week)
- Schiffman, Reynolds & Young Chapter 16, pp. 348-357, 371-389
- Cox & Cox (1994) Chapter 9 & 10
- April 18th: ViSta RNMDS Model Object
- Interpretation of MDS Results:
April 18 - 25 (1 1/2 weeks)
- Schiffman, S.S., Reynolds, M.L, & Young, F.W. (1981) Introduction to Multidimensional Scaling. Academic Press, New York. Chap. 12-13, pp. 253-320.
- April 25th: Demo of ViSta RNMDS Model Object analyzing Class Data
- Documenting the ViSta RNMDS Model Object:
April 18 - May 2nd (2 weeks)
- May 2nd: Documentation for Model Object with example analysis of class data.